My hometown, Ashland, Oregon, underwent major flooding the first week of this year (1997). I got to experience it since I was home for my winter break. Lithia Creek overflowed into the downtown plaza and the park, causing major damage. Running water was cut off for a while, which made me feel like I was camping at home. ("Where ya been shittin'?" became a common topic of conversation.) Here are some photos I took of Ashland's flood in the beginning stages:
- the raging Litha Creek, along Guanajuato Way
- Bluebird Park, next to Thai Pepper
- Mom, Phoebe and Michael next to Guanajuato Way during the flood
- A wider perspective on the last picture
- Mark, Michael and Phoebe on the side of Mom's house when we were trying to block the major leakage
Look at my Shopping Journal #5 on my page of writings in order to read more about my experience with the flood.
Also, check out Derek's New Year's Flood '97 page for more on this issue.
Or go to http://www.mind.net/flood/ for a little slideshow of photos.