Do these pictures look like Swarthmore to you? All of the buildings in these pictures from the Friends' Historical Library used to stand on campus. All have been razed--two to make room for buildings more familiar to us, and the third after an arsonist set a fire which all but destroyed it.
The hamburger joint in Sommerville Student Center featured this mural, painted by a student. The Student Center moved when McCabe Library was built in 1967, but they couldn't save the mural.
Other college buildings are also gone. Members of the classes of '96, '97, and '98 watched a wrecking ball demolish Parrish Annex to make room for Kohlburg Hall a year and a half ago. Mary Lyon buildings 2 and 3 were demolished after a 1982 fire. And, the Temple of the Book and Key, home of Swarthmore's owm Secret Society, was razed in 1967, a decade after the Society ceased selecting new members.
Buildings aren't the only things which have changed around here. Sixty years ago, the dominant role of sororities on women's social life and question of coed tables in the dining hall were big issues. Football games attracted far more attention than they do now. Twenty-five years ago, students shut down the campus with a student strike to protest the bombing og Cambodia, and coed housing was still considered an experiment.
Swarthmore College in 1926, or even in 1971, was in many ways very different than it is today. Old issues of The Phoenix can be found in the bound periodical stacks of McCabe Library, and also in the mcrofilm section. Leaping off the pages of these old issues are the voices of thousands of our fellow students from days gone by.