- Champagne, Rosaria. "Feminism, Essentialism, and Historical Context," Women's Studies. Vol. 25. Pp 95-108
- Grimshaw, Jean. Philosophy and Feminist Thinking. University of Minnesota Press, 1986.
- Mahowald, Mary Briody. Philosophy of Woman: Classical to Current Concepts. Hackett Publishing, 1983.
- Riley, Denise. Am I that Name: Feminism and the Category of "Women." History. University of Minnesota Press, 1988.
- Walker, Barbara G. Feminist Fairy Tales. San Francisco: HarperCollins, 1996.
- Stone, Merlin. When God Was a Woman. San Diego: Harvest/HBJ Book, 1976.
- Berger, Pamela. The Goddess Obscured. Boston: Beacon Press, 1985.
- Dillon, Mary and Barclay, Shinan. Flowering Woman: Moontime for Kory. Sedona, AZ: Sunlight Productions, 1988.
- Laqueur, Thomas. "Orgasm, Generation, and the Politics of Reproductive Biology." The Making of the Modern Body: Sexuality and Society in the Nineteenth Century, ed. Catherine Gallagher and Thomas Laqueur (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1987): 1-41.
- Lock, Margaret. "The Politics of Mid-Life and Menopause: Ideologies for the Second Sex in North America and Japan." Knowledge, Power, and Practice: The Anthropology of Medicine and Everyday Life, ed. Shirley Lindenbaum and Margaret Lock (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1993): 330-363.
- Martin, Emily. The Woman in the Body: A Cultural Analysis of Reproduction. Boston: Beacon Press, 1987.
- Being Bodies: Buddhist Women on the Paradox of Embodiment. Lenore Friedman and Susan Moon, Eds. Boston & London: Shambhala, 1997.
-- An amazing selection of essays divided into these categories: "Body as Suffering," "Body as Nature," "Body as Gender," "Body as Vehicle," and "Body as Self."
- Women & Buddhism: A special issues of Spring Wind-Buddhist Cultural Forum. Vol. 6. No. 1, 2, & 3. 1986.
-- A great range of writings dealing with gender roles in this religion, among other relevant topics.
- Buddhism Through American Women's Eyes. Karma Lekshe Tsomo, Ed. Ithica, NY: Snow Lion Publications, 1995.
-- A book offering valuable perspectives and interesting writings.
- What is Enlightenment?. Spring/Summer 1998. Issue 13.
-- This special issue focues on the question, "What is the relationship between sex and spirituality?" It gives many different views (on both Tantra and celibacy).
- Ecofeminism and the Sacred. ed. Carol J. Adams. New York, Continuum, 1993)
[ back to Women's Studies intro page ]
[ related online links ]
[ Sam | Sarah | Claire | Maya | Chris ]