|Photo||Name||Constructed / Dedicated||Purpose|
|Squash Court Building||1920||
The Squash Court Building, located by the Field House and Ware Pool,
holds playing courts for the game of squash.
|Lamb-Miller Field House||1935||
The Field House is Swarthmore's main athletic facility. Inside the dome there
is a large two-story open area with a track, basketball courts, tennis courts,
and several weight rooms. The offices of the team coaches are also located in
the Field House. Like the rest of Swarthmore's current athletic buildings, the
building is located on the other side of the SEPTA rail, a short walk from the
center of campus.
Tarble Pavilion is an expansion of the Lamb-Miller Field House. Along with
more storage space for the athletic teams, the Pavilion houses the College's
main basketball court and is used for physical education classes.
In the mid-1960's, Swarthmore undertook a massive construction project that
included a new dorm, library, dining hall, and health center. As part of the
same construction project, the College also planned on building a pool at the
west end of the Field House, but abandoned the idea for more than a decade. On
October 18, 1980, the ground was broken for the new Ware Pool, even though the
College only had $500,000 of the $1.6 million that would be needed to complete
the building. Original proposals called for a large, shallow pool with a separate
diving well, but eventually the idea was consolidated into one Olympic-sized
pool. Half of Ware Pool's heating comes from solar energy, making it one of
the most environmentally-efficient buildings on campus. The pool is used by
the swim team, aquatics classes, and students and faculty of Swarthmore College.
|Mullan Tennis Center||2000||
The Mullan Tennis Center, located by the football field and Ware Pool, was completed
in the Spring of 2000. It houses three indoor tennis courts and a very large weight
room with modern equipment.