Swarthmore Inter Net
Novices and Experts
I've been holding web publishing seminars at Swat since February 1994. Between not one and 24 folk have crowded in for two hours of web work.
I'm so proud of this list - many folk seizing this medium who mightn't otherwise have taken a crack at it. There's so much talent and passion here.
Keep your eye peeled for upcoming Swarthmore Web Enthusiast's Meetin's. I've got a bulletin board in Parrish, near the bottom of the westward middle staircase - I'll post notice there.
S A T U R D A Y, M A Y 18, 1 9 9 6, 1pm-3pmin Kohlberg
- tirian came by. dom showed up too, but no one needed to learn about scanning, so he worked:
xanadu,11:47am,[/www/Links/vita/swat/course/consume/text]> w 12:26PM up 7 days, 12:12, 10 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE WHAT justin p0 mac07.worth2.swa 8:44AM 1:30 -tcsh (tcsh) dominic p1 mac07.parrishd.s 11:16PM 13:07 -tcsh (tcsh) justin p2 k01.kohlberg-pub 11:10AM 0 emacs index.html dominic p3 k05.kohlberg-pub 11:36AM 0 pico index.html caliban p5 ppp116-sf1.siriu 12:25PM 0 /user/colby/local/bin/icb -h icb.e flux p6 126.96.36.199 11:37AM 9 (pine) tsheets p8 Sun.COM Wed03PM 19:23 -tcsh (tcsh) uke pa bear-like-pillow Fri11AM 24:34 -tcsh (tcsh) jonathan pb quisp.cyborganic 11:10AM 1:15 -tcsh (tcsh) justin pc k01.kohlberg-pub 11:11AM 0 w -n
S A T U R D A Y, A P R 20, 1 9 9 6, 1pm-3pm
- craig was early, he already had an account. Lea worked on her CS project.
- pauline wants to know how to set up a corporate web site, Amy has always had a ten year plan, Andy, Julie Falk
- rose forgot her web instruction notes again.
- Aaron Marsh, well, thank the lord for Aaron Marsh.
- 16 year old Chris Gorman returns.
S A T U R D A Y, A P R 13, 1 9 9 6, 1pm-3pm
- Chris DiLeo starting off. Shamsah Ebrahim had never surfed the web before, she put up a page. Carl Wellington drops by to get an account and a boot up as well.
- Lyndsley Wilkerson uploading knit pix for Knit Wits, Toki works on SPEEC.
- Saintly Aaron Marsh on hand to hand out accounts and wisdom, 'course.
S A T U R D A Y, A P R 6, 1 9 9 6, 1pm-3pm
- In Bearsley public area, Toki worked on Speec, Rose worked on Rose, Elena got an account, Derek made some graphics, laura made a page.
S A T U R D A Y, M A R 2, 1 9 9 6, 1pm - 3pm
- Eric Von Wettburg, who wants to move to Iceland. Natasha Francesci works on the Global Resources.
- Aaron Marsh gave accounts to Jennifer and Ann.
- Nick Lehmann and Bob Yang from web ethics class
- Abraham is here removing Hypercard elements prone to infection by the Merry Christmas virus.
S A T U R D A Y, F E B 24, 1 9 9 6, 1pm - 3pm
- It is a sunny sparklin' beaut of a day, with portentious gusty winds. Maybe if I feel back the magic, it'll happen!
- From my Shamanism class, Pete gets started.
- Dom is set up to teach scanning in Beardsley.
- Aaron Marsh givin' accounts to Lou, Jen. After they got their pages going, they travelled with Pete to learn from Dom.
- High school guest Chris Gorman, brother of swattie senior Jessica.
- Vincent Jones's account is turned on. NiYa got some .gifs, and with Aaron's help, set up the SASS and Gospel Choir web pages.
- Cooper stops by, shows me a concise HTML design guide
- Excitement! After a reminder call to his radio show, Wilson shows up to get an account.
S A T U R D A Y, F E B 17, 1 9 9 6, 1pm - 3pm
- We couldn't get into Dupont 138, so we're jammin' quietly in the public space. Fortunately, Saturday afternoon ain't packed here; there's more than enough room.
Vincent Jones has to get his Condor account unfrozen - they suspended his access cuz his password was too easy.
- A first, Luke Voellmy from Haverford, I don't know that I've ever had a publisher from there visit. With Justin Brown, Lyndsley Wilkerson working on her page, and her knitting page. Good thing about being in the public lab, I can teach her and Gypsyamber Berg-Cross to scan and put up picture.
- First time page-makers Han Park, NiYa Costley, Cynthia Hong, who only has two friends.
S A T U R D A Y, F E B 10, 1 9 9 6, 1pm - 3pmDominic Sagolla filling in for Justin, who's in DC to protest the Communications Decency Act.Jimmy Chan was waitin' for me when I got there, along with his friend, Walter, who teamed up with Dan Sachar to spin some new pages.
Amber Berg-Cross showed up to get more experience with backgrounds, but not before Lyndsley Wilkerson tried her hands at the Knit-wits Home Page.
Aaron Marsh was on hand to help Walter with his new account.
S A T U R D A Y, F E B 3, 1 9 9 6, 1pm - 3pmclassmates:
- doin' the homework for next time, flexin' their webscles.
- Joan Hoffmann quiet, worked, left
- Bob Yang brought his violin stayed late.
- Julia Benton bought me some textbooks for my quantum physics class so I could be on time to this seminar. She worked on her journal file structure.
carl mas wanted to learn imagemaps
Ever lovin' elaine distributed condor accounts to all these folk:Poet, christian, fast walker Chuck Stevens expanded voraciously. After our lunch yesterday, Deena showed up with Meghan Dillon. I guess I sold her enough for her to start her trip. He said his name was John, I didn't get it - Gian-Angelo. Eddie made his first adjunct page about his family. Eric Freedman e-mailed himself instructions. Ahna Dewan and Gypsyamber Berg-Cross took off, I mean colours, subpages, links - the whole nine lines.
- Farahnaz Khosroshahi left early, confused. I promised I'd mail her something. What was it?
- Josh Lifton stayed real late, made a subdirectory, put a web page in it, then deleted it.
- Bryan Berg left second to last, after typing briefly about his relatioships.
S A T U R D A Y, D E C 2, 1 9 9 5, 1pm - 3pm
- I've been noticing my signs taken down, turned around.
- Cary Griffen, Chris got a new account. Matt Minendez, Dave Lewis, Nick Lehmann.
- Sandra, Rumki, and Vanessa Silberman are working on coordinating children's resources.
- Elizabeth Nickrenz drops by looking for Kate Bernstein and Rya Peelle.
- Dan Sachar drops by, and Dom Sagolla.
- Jordan Hay talks about community activation prospects - getting computers and modems for folks who ain't got access. Helpin' 'em serve up web pages. I would love to lend myself to such a project - I've been vaguely trying to start one for some time. I'm spread so thin already - thinking about the coordination involved to do the right kind of job is daunting - I'd need some help. Looks like I may have found it.
- Jen Lee dropped by at about 3.30pm - too late, I'm headin' for the electric eclectic
S U N D A Y, N O V 19, 1 9 9 5, 7pm - 9pm
- Julia Benton, Elizabeth Nickrenz, Rya, Kate Bernstein, Richard Okello, Maya Seligman, Brenn Jones, Sandra Schrauf, Jeremy Dilatush, Dave Mimno, Brian Thompson, Beck, David Phillips, Vanessa Silberman
- Dan Sachar drops by as a sound volunteer and web success story.
W E D N E S D A Y, N O V 8, 1 9 9 5, 4pm - 6pm
- 11 new condor accounts! Computers filled to overflowing! Side by side terminal teamups! A Sinners popularity first - due in large part to adequate publicity. I carried around a phattie permanent marker and recycled old signs after the weekend.
- Nick Lehmann showed up to do some excellent mentoring, he helped Matt Minendez get his page going. Cameron Warner finally found time from track to get involved, he'd wanted to for a year.
- These folks got new accounts, and posted first pass pages: Paul Krause, Drew Stillman, Carlin Andress, Desiree Joseph, Rumki Saha, Vanessa Silberman. Rob Monk was ready with materials from his time at Deep Springs college. I don't know if Dave Sturdivan has an account or a page, but he showed up too.
- Dan Sachar learned it all on his own then showed up to help folks with sounds. Talk to him if you'd like to audioize your pages.
- Veterans Elizabeth Nickrenz, Emily Topper were on hand, as ever this year. These guys already had pages as well: Max Johnson, Caleb Olin - he hooked up his poems page. The computers filled up, Ronan McCoy sat with Lindsay Koval and helped her out a bit. Larry Kerr tried to figure out how to make people listen to a sound immediately upon arrival - besides java, he tried client pull. Check out his source code.
- Lyndsley Wilkerson dropped by for a quick question.
- As ever, Evan Dorn showed up to distribute an unprecedented number of accounts. Sam Weiler helped out as well. Thank you guys!
- Wendi Crabill was the second to last to leave, and the last to get her page going - she gave me a green tomato and frying directions on her way out. Thank you Wendi!
S A T U R D A Y, O C T 28, 1 9 9 5, 1pm - 3pm
- In the basement of Trotter - I hate this room. Unventilated, the alarm is whining persistently.
- Elizabeth Nickrenz, Nick Lehmann and Dom Sagolla
S A T U R D A Y, O C T 7, 1 9 9 5, 1pm - 3pm
- Erin Greeson, elena's sister Rita Trujillo, Dave Mimno, Bob Griffin, Joan Hoffmann, Neal Cohen, ani hsieh, Ian brown. Then molly jacobs and becky bush added her dave matthews
- As ever, Evan Dorn saved the day.
W E D N E S D A Y, S E P T 27, 1 9 9 5, 4.00pm - 6.00pm
- Had to push out the Engineering 5 class. Evan Dorn shows up to christen new condors, handing out accounts and showing off cool tricks for NetScape. Unfortunately the new version (v2.0) should be out this week, and it won't support some of that shit.
These folks stepped up to the plate: Elizabeth Nickrenz, Emily Topper, Rick, Sara Luger didn't put up a page, but she did find her Dad on the web. Larry Kerr was phlyin' and phishin', Simon, and Jim Tracy. Ben Williams stopped by for an account, he sez he'll have a page soon.
- Swarthmore web enthusiast Dom Sagolla was on hand as well, to hand out some sagely advice:
- comments in html rendered
<!-- comment here -->
S A T U R D A Y, S E P T 16, 1 9 9 5, 2.00pm - 4.00pm
- Unfortunately, no SCCS personel were on hand to distribute new accounts. Folks built pages in SimpleText and saved 'em for next time.
- Giridhar, Danielle Hartman, Ani Hsieh, Rya, Eric, Elizabeth Nickrenz was up and running by the 27th, as was Emily Topper. Assistant Professor of History Tim Burke showed up as well; he already had a web page, but he wanted to check out the goings on. He turned us on to a hot builders link; a hex triplet color chart. He's got a kickin' page - links and tables and colours and commentary even! Original content! If only all my teachers put their syllabi online.
S A T U R D A Y, S E P T 9, 1 9 9 5, 2.00pm - 4.00pm
- Today's seminar was postponed, cuz the raptor folk had told me that they would be taking the system down. I came in, to redirect people. When Lyndsley, Justin Brown came by, I figgered I'd just teach 'em some html. Due to graphix swiped off the net at large, she has a pretty fly lookin' page.
T U E S D A Y, M A Y 2, 1 9 9 5, 1.00pm - 3.00pm
- First web exposure for Erika Rauer, and Shaquila Smith. Chazt did first time work, including rugby stuff, Kelli made some .gifs transparent, Laura Astrov came in here to do math homework, Dan and Jordan handed out accounts. And Derek, intrepid Swarthmore webbing pioneer, made yet another helpful appearance! Thank you Derek!
S A T U R D A Y, A P R I L 22, 1 9 9 5, 1.00pm - 3.00pm
- Poetry reading for no one, until Fred Pryor, of the Econ Dept., shows up. He wants to find useful information, I point him towards, Yahoo. We start building a home page, but he gets impatient and wants to head to UTexas for more statistics - "My God, this is quite powerful, isn't it?" And when the computer is stalling, "Come on baby."
- At first, I thought I'd be missing out on the pleasant outdoor fun. Now I'm sitting here freezin' in the aircon, listening to the rain patter the broad windows. I'm working on my family pages, and thoroughly enjoying myself.
S A T U R D A Y, A P R I L 15, 1 9 9 5, 1.00pm - 3.00pm
- Sidewalk chalk and Broadcast and e-mail yeilded a motly crew! These two got raptor accounts -Marialuz Castro, Becky Bush, thanks to Sasha. Paul Wong, Bryan Gobin, Tshepedi Moremong, Derek Lumpkins, now a veteran, was teaching Maria and Solimar Salas. Jonathan Makler, Ronan A McCoy, Jim McLeod, Matt Trebelhorn, Omar Haneef, Jason Bromer dropped by for information on HTML 3.0 and tables
S U N D A Y, A P R I L 9, 1 9 9 5, 1.30pm - 3.30pm
- So far two people have shown up - one to "work on the expensive computers" and one to tell me to shut the windows because "we have an expensive air conditioning system working overtime." Fortunately, I borrowed Chandra's radio, so I can listen to yesterday's electric eclectic. More people came, just two, to tell me to turn down the music.
- I blame parents weekend, the end of the year, and the incredible weather today. Who want like sitting around Dupont working in virtual space when the sun is shining like this? Just me, today.
S A T U R D A Y, M A R C H 2 5, 1 9 9 5, 1.00pm - 3.00pm
- A lot of individual ground covered - some people just surfed, some started pages, and some learned about HTML 3.0
- In attendance were Phoenix Editress Tamar Charry, simply surfing Elizabeth Weber, Derek Lumpkins who had a substantial page up within an hour, and several Swarthmore College Computer Socialists Evan Dorn, Ross Dickson, Sam Weiler. New expert Anya Schwender made an appearance as well.
W E D N E S D A Y, M A R C H 1 5, 1 9 9 5, 4.00pm - 6.00pm
- The session was small, being the second day back since vacation. I thought free time would yeild excessive interest, but instead people did not seem ready - adjusted enough for this kind of thing. The crowd that did appear got a pretty intensive web walk-through
- In attendance were crazy Yoni
Yonathan Dessalegn, quickly addicted Anya Schwender, Rachel Goldstein who did quite a bit of interacting, Tanya Wiggins lead a web tour, a brief visit from expressive Chandra Kreuzer, and we were graced by the late arrival of a childhood friend of Justin's, now quite a web developer in his own rite, Donnan Steele.
T H U R S D A Y, F E B R U A R Y 2 3, 1 9 9 5, 4.30pm - 7.00pm
- The first seminar was exciting. A nice mix of both experienced and newbie web folk showed up, the attendance spoke well of the state of web enthusiasm here on campus. I opened up with a presentation on the Net at large, and my vision of the potential of the world wide web.
- Note: my memory is poor, and I didn't keep track. If you were there, and you're not listed, let me know. Kylian, Phil De Green, Hillary, Raina, Empty the Shelters advocate, born on Ghandi's birthday,
Beth Green, Rachel Goldstein, Jim McLeod, Eugene, Jason, Samuel Weiler, Katherin McInnis, and Computer Center webhead Sherri Johnson who does this sort of thing for the faculty and administration at large.
meet | sweb